Saturday, October 6, 2012

Chapter 16


Around the dinner table, Abby’s siblings told their father about the dragon they had met.  Naturally, their father turned to Abby once the excited tales and descriptions had subsided.
“Abby, that was quite a puppet you rigged up.  I know you love telling stories, but I think that you went a little too far if you let it interrupt your chores.”
The little kids giggled as Abby protested.  “Dad, the dragon is real!  I met him up in the meadows and got him to come down and meet everyone.  I’m trying to convince him to come to the village meeting tonight.  He’s really shy but nice.  He told me that it’s the king who’s causing all the problems.  So I decided that the best way to solve all these problems was let the dragon share its stories.”
Abby’s father started to look annoyed.  “Abby, I think you should stay home tonight.  You are probably really tired after your journey and sending you out with the sheep today was not a good idea.”
Even Abby’s mother had to smile at Abby’s disappointed groan and the children’s giggles.  Their father continued, “Abby, last night you came into town and told everyone that the dragon proclamation was a fake; a rumor, a story.  You said that there was no dragon and that it was probably bandits doing everything.  Today I talked to nearly everyone in the village, trying to convince them to at least listen to you tonight and give your story a fair chance over those three criers.  Now, you want to barge in and tell everyone that theirs is a dragon up in the Caverns?”
“Yes- and I have to warn them that it’s the king’s criers who are causing all the trouble.  We have to put a stop to the looting and burning.  The dragon wants to help, he really does, but he’s too shy around people,” Abby replied eagerly.  “I figured that showing him to the villagers…”
Here, Abby’s father interrupted her.  “That’s enough, Abby.  If you don’t want to tell everyone that you were wrong about the proclamation, that’s fine with me.  Everyone gets it wrong sometimes, but that’s no excuse for telling outrageous stories.  You can stay home while we go to the meeting, and that’s final.”
Abby’s mother couldn’t help but speak up.  “You haven’t seen her dragon, Carl.  I nearly didn’t believe it myself.  At least give her a chance, like you did when you let her go to Cavan.”
Abby’s father looked up in surprise.  He thought that his family had gone crazy.  “I let her go to Cavan because she had proven she was responsible enough.  This, though, is just nonsense.  Abby can show me this dragon later, but tonight she stays home.  In fact, it might be better if all the children stay home.”
Abby helped her mother do the dishes that evening.  She had been so excited to share her dragon with everyone that getting told she was not allowed to go to the meeting was something of a shock. 
Abby’s mother interrupted her gloom.  “Abby, will the dragon take himself to the village?”
Abby looked up.  “No, I think he’d be too shy to.”
“Was the dragon planning to meet you at his cave or here at the house?” her mother asked again.
Abby thought for a moment.  “We never really talked about that part.  I suppose I figured if he didn’t show up here, I’d hike up to the meadow and find him there.  I suppose I’ll have to show him to dad tomorrow and then see what happens.”
“Abby,” her mother replied, “When they needed someone to go to Cavan, did you wait to see what happened?”
Abby gave her a confused look.
“No, you didn’t.  You made that happen- you tried to think of what the best thing to do was and then you did it,” her mother answered.  “You needed help and permission to do it, which we gave you, but the first thing you did was make the decision to do what seemed best.”
Abby smiled.  “I didn’t really expect it to go.  I was just excited and wanted to help.  What has that got to do with not being able to introduce the dragon to the villagers?”
Abby’s mother handed Abby the last dish to wipe dry.  “When we needed someone to go to Cavan, you were willing to step up and do the job.  Are you willing to do the job of introducing the dragon to everyone and seeing this through to the end?”
Abby nodded.  “You know I am, mom, but dad said…”
Abby’s mother interrupted her.  “And once you made that decision, what did you need?”
“I needed permission to go?” Abby answered, still confused.
Abby’s mother smiled.  “And you need permission to introduce the dragon, too.  I’m giving you that permission.  I’ll help whenever you need it too.  I think this will be a lot harder than riding to Cavan.”
Abby gave her mom a hug.  “You mean I can go to the town meeting tonight with the dragon even though dad said not too?”
Abby’s mother laughed.  “What your father said still stands.  You still need his permission to go to the meeting, but I think a little introduction to your dragon will change his mind pretty quickly.  Can you get the dragon here before we leave?”
Abby nodded and then went out the door.  Her parents were tucking the children in bed and preparing to walk to the village.  If she could find that dragon, there might still be time to change her father’s mind.
She looked behind the house and inside and outside the barn and shed.  There was no sign of the dragon.  Abby searched behind every tree and bush.  By then it was too dark to go up and look for him in the meadow.  She sighed and turned back to the house.  Her parents were just coming out the door.  Abby’s father saw her glum face and tried to cheer her up. 
“I know you’re disappointed Abby, but don’t feel so bad.  There will be other meetings I’ll take you to.”
Her father stopped talking as a shadow flew over them and landed with a whoosh of air behind the house.  Something crashed and then there was a moment of silence, followed by a few more crashes as whatever had landed behind the house untangled itself from a pile of toys.
“Abby, what was that?” her father asked sternly.  “Something tells me that you’re behind this, whatever that was.”
At that moment, the dragon peeked his head cautiously from around the corner of the building and looked directly into the astonished face of Abby’s father.  Seeing the bewilderment on both of their faces made Abby want to giggle, but she knew this was a very serious moment. The dragon swallowed its fright and stepped towards Abby’s parents. 
Very nervously it said, “Excuse me, but you must be Abby’s father.  Let me introduce myself- I am the dragon.”
Abby’s father looked completely shocked but Abby’s mother nudged him.
“How do you do, Mr. Dragon?  I am Abby’s father.  I didn’t really expect to meet you, you know,” Abby’s father said.
The dragon nodded.  “I did not expect to meet any people, myself, but it seems that now I can’t help but bump into strangers.  Are you going into town?”
“Yes,” her father replied.  “Abby did tell me about that and I didn’t believe her.  But now, I’ve got no choice.  You both should come with me and my wife.  We can give you a proper introduction and help you out.”
Abby ran to her father.  “You mean I can come with you to the meeting?”
Her father nodded and said, “We’re late already.  We’d better hustle.  You are coming, too, aren’t you Abby?”
Abby nodded and joined her parents.  She couldn’t wait to see what would happen when everyone saw her dragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment