Saturday, October 6, 2012

Chapter 13


            Abby was sore and tired from riding for so long but she sat up when she saw all the townspeople eager to see her. 
            “What news have you?  Did anyone in Cavan know of the proclamation?  Will the dragon burn down the village?” Each person seemed to have a thousand questions.  In fact, the crowd was so loud she couldn’t have been heard even if she wanted to answer any of the questions.  Suddenly she saw her father coming through the crowd.  Abby jumped off of Apple.
            “Dad!” she shouted, and then gave him a big hug.  “I went all the way to Cavan, and saw Aunt Monica and Uncle Cay, and cousin Kieran, and found out about the proclamation.  There is none!”
            “What did you say?” her father asked. 
            “There’s no proclamation.  I talked with Kieran when I was in Cavan.  He’s an official crier now and he told me that it’s all just a rumor someone started.  The dragon must just be a legend.”
            Her father looked at the three men craning their necks to get a look at the ‘messenger’ and said, “Well, let’s go in the inn and you can get some dinner and tell everyone all that you learned.”
            Apple was led to her barn and Abby was led into the inn.  Mrs. Lyon set a plate of stew in front of her and shooed all the curious people away.  “Get away, now.  The news can wait for a few minutes.  Don’t worry, dear, I sent Adin to go get your mother.  We can begin when she gets here.”
            All the townspeople came into the inn and found chairs or stood in groups.  Abby ate and talked to her father.  “I went to Delahony and stopped at Aunt Monica and Uncle Cay’s house.  Their farm is getting smaller but they’re all right.  Katy works in the castle’s kitchens now and Kieran is a crier.  Then I went to Cavan.  I met a family there and I stayed with them.  Their name was the Lawson’s.  Their barn had been burned down.  People said it was the dragon but they were convinced it was just someone up to no good.  Then I finally made it to the town center and met Kieran.  When I asked him about the dragon proclamation, he said that it was just a rumor; the king hadn’t sent out a proclamation but all the criers were spreading it.  Guess what- some criers have even gone missing!  That’s probably why we never got our own crier.  Then I came home as fast as Apple would let me.  I didn’t even stop in Delahony.”
            Abby’s mothers and siblings came rushing up.  “Abby! I was so worried about you!  I don’t know how your father convinced me to let you go.   I’m so glad you made it home safely.”  Abby’s mother gave her a hug. 
            “Did you go to Cavan?” Ryan asked.  “Is it really as big as they say it is?”
            “I’ll bet you learned all about the proclamation,” Delaney exclaimed.
            “Did you get to see the dragon?” Rosie asked. 
            “I bet you were super scared,” Caleb declared.
            Abby laughed, “No.  It wasn’t scary and I didn’t see the dragon.  There’s no such thing as dragons, just in stories.  But I did see Cavan and it’s even bigger than everyone says!  I’m so glad I’m home.”
            “We’re all glad you are home, too, and now I think we ought to share what you’ve learned with everyone.  Do you think you can do that after riding all day?” her father asked.
            Abby nodded and moved to the head of the room.  People gathered around in order to hear.  The three messengers pushed their way to the front and sat down.
            “I went to Cavan,” Abby began.  “It took me a long time to get there.  When I got there I stayed with a family and they showed me the town’s square, where my cousin was.  He’s a crier.  He said that the dragon proclamation was just a rumor.  When I learned that I came home as quickly as I could.”
            There was a murmur of surprise and people began to shout out comments.
            “We ought to tell the criers to stop spreading rumors like that!”
            “No, it’s the merchants.  They exaggerate too much.”
            “The dragon could be real- we should go to the Caverns and make sure.”
            Crooks stood up.  “Everyone, as an official crier, I’d like to say something.  It appears the person you sent to Cavan did not get the latest news.”
            Everyone turned to look at Crooks and his two friends, who shrank back at the sudden attention.  “I was with the king himself not over a week ago.  The dragon proclamation is real, though the king had not planned to release an official document till the harvest festival at the castle.  He sent us to warn you that you should all prepare to move.  The dragon is a threat and has been causing many problems.  Surely your messenger can back me up on that.”  He turned to Abby.  “On your journey you saw the evidence of the dragon’s destructive habits, didn’t you?”
            “Well, there was a family whose barn had been burned down.”  Crooks began to say something but Abby interrupted him. “But when they looked for footprints, scales, anything that indicated a dragon, they found nothing, except for human footprints and the like.  Those I talked to couldn’t believe the King would tell stories like that.”
            Abby’s father saw that everyone was thinking about the two opposing sides that had been presented.  “I suggest we go home and sleep on what we’ve heard.  I’ll talk to Abby and get any details she hasn’t said yet.  And, I’m sure that these messengers will want to say more.  Tomorrow night we can meet up again. 
            Abby’s mother gathered up all the children and they walked back to the house.  Abby gratefully got into bed with her sisters.  It felt like forever since she had been in her own home and she was glad to be back, even if it meant that her adventure was over.  

No comments:

Post a Comment