The Great Forest
was cool and shaded, even in the afternoon.
The path through the Great Forest followed a dried-up stream bed where a
stream had long ago carved itself a deep channel with a tall dirt bank on each
side. Tree roots stuck out of the banks
at awkward angles while the tree trunks thrust their branches into a green
canopy overheard.
“I never did like
this place,” grumbled Gibbs. “The Chief
could’ve set up base closer to the castle, inside it even. But, no, we have to hide out in the deep,
dank forest, far from markets full of food, inns with nice warm beds, far from
...”
“Far from nosy little
people,” replied Crooks. “Anyway, we
should be heading back out soon anyway.
We just have to check in with the Chief and then we can leave.”
The three,
mounted on their horses, rode down the path until they came to the end of the
trail, in front of a wall cloaked by the roots of an enormous tree. They tied their reigns to the roots and
climbed up the roots. Once on top of the
bank, they walked through the forest to a small, sheltered clearing. A tent with a smoldering fire was under a
tree and a horse was picketed nearby.
“Hey, Chief,
we’re back,” Crooks announced.
“I know,” someone
replied. “I could hear you talking. I myself like this location very much, but if
you beg to differ, I’m sure I could make some arrangements, Gibbs.”
“No, Chief, I’m
happy if you’re happy.”
“Very good,” the
voice continued as the Chief stepped out of his tent. “Now, come get some dinner and tell me what
the king said.”
The scouts
gathered around the fire and told him what the king had said.
“The plan is proceeding
quickly. The decree was sent out and
folks should be coming for the fall festival soon. The king told us to make sure no one went in
the cave, just in case,” Crooks announced.
“I’ll send you three
to Plum. You can pretend to be harvest
workers, who’ve just finished helping with the apple harvest and come to town
to spend the winter. Take a couple other
scouts but tell them to keep out of sight,” the Chief replied.
“What will the
scouts do?” asked Larkin.
“The dragon that
lives up in those mountains needs some help convincing people that it
exists. I aim to let the scouts lend it
a hand. The people up there will know
there’s a dragon by the time the King makes his announcement or I’ll find
myself some new scouts.”
The three scouts
nodded warily and finished eating. The
Chief banked the fire for the night and the others mounted their horses. With luck, they’d be in Plum in a week.
No comments:
Post a Comment